As a Canadian employer, you may be having a difficult time finding qualified Canadian workers to fill your positions. There are literally millions of people abroad who would like to work in Canada and we can very likely help you to find a highly qualified worker for your positions.
Recently the government of Canada has streamlined the process of hiring workers – called an application for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
It’s easier and faster than you probably think. It usually takes about 2 months but can be faster if you have already done some of the steps below.
Here are the steps if you want to hire foreign workers:
- You need to clearly set out the job description and the requirements for the job.
- You need to make sure that you are offering a high enough wage to attract a Canadian. This is called the “prevailing wage” which is the median wage listed on the Canadian Job Bank website.
- You need to advertise the job for at least one month. There are certain requirements as to where you need to advertise the job.
- If all of the positions have not been filled, then you apply for an LMIA. It usually (but not always) costs $1000 for each position you want to be approved by the government. This usually takes 2-3 weeks.
- Then the foreign worker needs to apply at a border point or at a visa office for the work permit.
We are a Canadian immigration law firm combined with a licensed Employment Agency, matching Canadian employers with highly qualified workers from around the world.